Easy homemade recipe and zero waste ;)
4 tablespoons of raspberry seed oil (Not to be confused with the essentiel oil).
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
3 tablespoons of shea butter
1.5 - 2 tablespoons of beeswax
2 tea spoons non-nano zinc oxyde
1. Put the coco oil, raspberry seed oil, shea butter and shea btuuer in a bowl. Melt this the mix by using a double boiler.
If you don't have a double boiler, no problem. All you need is a bowl and a pot.
Use this link on How to Fake a double boiler->
2. Stir gently until the mix is melted. Then add the Zinc (be careful not inhaling, you can use a mask if needed).
3. Turn the heat off and transfer into a small glass recipient.
4. While the mix cools down, keep stirring with a chopstick so it's nice and even.
5. As soon as you see consistency starts getting pasty, you can close your recipient and store in a room temperature place.
6. Use this sunscreen within 6 months. You may need to reapply after swimming as it's not 100% water proof.
When you get more familiar with the recipe, you can play with ratio of beeswax/oils. Use an extra teaspoon of beeswax if you prefer a thicker and longer-lasting mix. Use less beeswax if you prefer a smoother and creamier mix.
About the ingredients:
Raspberry seed oil : I chose this oil because of its estimated SPF of 30-50, however there are oils that have SPF properties and could work. Raspberry Seed oil also has great properties that protect the skin (vitamin e, essentiel fatty acids, phytosterols, etc. ), so it's a great oil to have at home and use alone when needed. NOT to be confused with the essentiel oil.
Non-nano Zinc Oxyde: It has one of the broadest UVA & UVB coverages of all the sunscreen ingredients currently available and being non-nano means that the size of the particules is not extra "fine" so it will create a protective layer and normally it won't penetrate into the skin. More about this: https://www.dermstore.com/blog/what-is-zinc-oxide-sunscreen
Beeswax: It helps gives the right consistency to the mix and helps create a protective layer that can be in some level water proof.
All ingredients can be found in a health store or zero waste shop. For example: https://noblessence.com/
Last but not least, I always recommend to do a test on your on your wrist or forearm to check if there is any allergy or negative reaction.
Remember that your best protection is MODERATION when it comes to your sun exposure.
Have a great sunny summer :) !
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information and discussions about health and related subjects. The information and other content provided in this blog, or in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice, nor is the information a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment.